Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Iron Man 2: Dissecting the Black Widow

Iron Man 2 has been out for a while so moviegoers have had a chance to watch it and form their opinions.  I imagine non-comic fans were plenty pleased by Scarlett Johansson and her portrayal of Black Widow.  But what of true comic book fans?  Would they buy Scarlett's portrayal of the Russian super(hero) spy?  I was very happy with it, for the most part.  The costume was an excellent "real world" depiction of the comics, displaying equal parts utility and sex appeal.  There was also one fantastic fight scene where Black Widow engages a dozen henchmen.  Natasha Romanova's knack for espionage is also showcased as she spies on Stark on behalf of S.H.I.E.L.D.  Now you might ask, with all these positives what could possibly have gone wrong?  Well, seeing as I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, my gripes are little more than nitpicking.  For starters I wanted more display of a Russian background apart from Black Widow's name.  I have no problem with Scarlett speaking with a clean American accent - any self-respecting spy would pull that off in real life - but it wouldn't have hurt to throw in line or two spoken in Russian.  At one point Black Widow mentions her ability to speak Latin.  Latin?!  This was a totally wasted opportunity!  My only other gripe is Scarlett's youthful appearance.  When I think of Black Widow I conjure a more mature-looking woman like Olga Kurylenko from Quantum of Solace.  Still, Scarlett's performance did make me a believer that she'd be perfect as the second modern Black Widow Yelena Belova from the comics!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment